New Here?
Search Kawartha Lakes Mums

Thursday, 24 May 2012

Safe Kids Canada Week 2012 Focus:Poison Prevention!

Prevent Accidental Poisoning! Keep Potential Hazards Away From Children!

Kawartha Mums - Does your child have easy poison access?
With poisoning being a major cause of injury in children, local families are being warned to keep potential hazards out of sight and locked up tight.

HKLPR HEalth Unit Logo

Out of Sight - Locked Up Tight!

Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit is advising parents and caregivers to “poison-proof” their homes and guard against accidental poisonings. The Health Unit is joining other health agencies across Canada in promoting the ‘Keep It Out of Sight and Locked Up Tight’ message during Safe Kids Week - May 28 to June 3.

What is Poisonous?

“Poison is any substance that can have a harmful effect on the body,” says Mary Lou Mills, a Family Health Nurse with the HKPR District Health Unit. “In the case of a child, potential hazards could be medication, cleaning products or everyday household items like mouthwash or nail polish.”

According to Safe Kids Canada www.safekidscanada.ca , it is estimated that poisoning kills five children 14 years of age and younger in Canada every year, while sending another 1,280 children to hospital with serious injuries. Each year, Poison Control Centres across Canada receive almost 70,000 calls involving children under the age of six.
“Young children are naturally curious, active and love to explore their surroundings,” says Mills. “As adults, we need to poison-proof our homes and keep all potential poisons locked up and out of reach of children.”

Medication, in particular, poses a poisoning risk to children. Parents and caregivers are encouraged to keep pills and medicine locked up in a cabinet. Medication that has to be refrigerated should be kept in a plastic container at the back of the fridge where it is not visible to children. When giving medication to children, Mills says to measure it accurately to prevent overdosing. She also urges families to never tell children that medication is “candy” in order to get them to take it. If visitors come over, keep purses and bags away from children so that they cannot reach in and get medication that may be stored there.
Other potential poison hazards such as household, gardening and automotive products should always be locked away, she adds. These products should also be kept in their original containers, as they have the product safety information and warning labels on them that will be very important in the event of an accidental poisoning.

Poisoned? Call for Help Immediately!

“If you suspect your child has been poisoned, call 9-1-1 or the Poison Control Centre immediately,” Mills advises.
The Ontario Poison Control Centre 1-800-268-9017 and www.ontariopoisoncentre.com can provide information on First Aid, seasonal hazards and other poisoning prevention tips. For more ways to poison-proof their homes, local residents can also call the Health Unit at 1-888-888-4577.

UPDATES:Placed 8th in Top10 posts for week ending June 10th
This post Ranked #8 in the Top 10 Posts for the week ending June 17,2012 See all the winners Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!
We look forward to your comments, and will publish them after checking for family-friendliness.
If posting a link, please link back to us, or have a place where we can comment and link back to our blog.