Sick with the Flu? Know When to get Medical help?
Ross Memorial Hospital Lindsay offers these tips on when to get medical help if a flu bug bites you.
Understanding Influenza(The Flu) Influenza is an acute respiratory illness caused by a virus. Influenza symptoms include fever, cough, weakness, body aches and headache. Influenza can lead to pneumonia.
Most people with the flu are strongly encouraged to avoid the Emergency Department to prevent spreading the flu to others, but it can be difficult to know when and where to seek medical help.
To help people know when to stay home and when to seek help, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care developed an online self-screening tool at ontario.ca/flu. The website also offers tips for managing flu symptoms at home, which includedrinking lots of fluids and taking basic pain or fever symptom relievers.
When to seek medical helpIf you do not start to feel better after a few days or if your symptoms get worse, you should: ·
- Call your health care provider
- Call Telehealth at 1-866-797-0000 (toll free) TTY: 1-866-797-0007
- Visit one of the local After Hours Clinics
When to come to the hospital
Adults should come to the Emergency Department if they have flu symptoms and have difficulty breathing, can’t tolerate fluids or are concerned. Children should be brought to the Emergency Department if their symptoms improve and then suddenly become worse. In addition, seek care if you notice any of the following signs:
- fast or difficult breathing
- bluish or dark-coloured lips or skin
- drowsiness to the point where he or she cannot be easily wakened
- severe crankiness or not wanting to be held or ·
- dehydration – not drinking enough fluids and not passing urine regularly
Have you been hit with a nasty bug? We hope you feel better soon.
Drop us a comment, or connect with us in one of these ways. We love chatting with our readers!:
- Send us a voice message
- Kawartha Lakes Mums Facebook Page,
- @KawarthaMums Twitter,
- Kawartha Lakes Mums Youtube for Insider Secrets
- Kawartha Lakes Mums Pinterest
- Kawartha Lakes Mums G+
Any adfly links below will open with a word from a sponsor to help cover expenses. Click the "Skip Ad" Button when it appears in the top right corner to proceed to the webpage. Find out more at :http://adf.ly/?id=4009826 Want a direct link to your site? Leave a confidential comment and ask about a free link exchange or sponsoring a post.