Kawartha Lakes Mums Did you Know this About French Hens?There are several theories about the three French hens in the Christmas Carol - The Twelve Days of Christmas. This post has a bit of trivia we discovered about those three French Hens, as well as some craft ideas.
You might also be interested in :
- Kawartha Lakes Mums: December 28 - 4th Day of Christmas - 4 Calling Birds?
- Kawartha Lakes Mums: December 27 - 2nd Day of Christmas: Counting Birds - Turtle Doves!
- Kawartha Lakes Mums: Celebrating 12 Days of Christmas - December 26 - Day 1!
|12 Days of Christmas 3 French Hens|
Glad you asked!
12 Days of Christmas -Three French Hens
Marans - Chocolate Egg Laying French ChickenMarans were bred in the search for large extra-brown eggs. Their beautiful eggs range in colour from extra red, dark mahogany or chocolate and are a satin gloss. The shells can be either plain, have pointillism, or even darker blotches. Very dark coloured shells may show even show purplish hues. This would definitely be a lovely gift to receive, but one thing stands in the way of their being the breed mentioned in the 12 Days of Christmas - the age of the breed.
|French Hen - Marans|
La Flèche -15th Century French Chicken
|La Flèche French Rooster With V Shaped Comb|
Many authors date the origins of the La Flèche breed to the fifteenth century. In 2011 a rescue project was launched by the Conservatoire des races animales en Pays de la Loire, the regional animal breed conservation body of the Pays de la Loire region.
Their main distinguishing feature is their unusual V-shaped comb. These chickens are medium size, with males usually weighing between 3.5–4 kg and females weighing between 3–3.5 kg. and lay white eggs. La Flèche are usually bred as ornamental birds, but still are appreciated in high-level restaurants in France for their fine meat. While the cleft comb and age of the breed could make it a candidate for the Three french hens, to me the ancestor of this chicken is a still more likely the breed gifted as the Three French Hens - the Crèvecœur.
Crèvecœur- Ancient French ChickenTranslated, Crèvecœur means heartbreak. What more suitable French Hen could there be for a true love to give?
|Ancient French Chicken - Crèvecœur|
Chicken Crafts and Gift Ideas
|Chicken Saddle Apron Pattern- Craftsy|
|Free Pattern-3 French Hens - Craftsy|
|Chicken Tea Cozy Pattern - Craftsy|
|Make Three French hens as Crocheted potholders with this Craftsy Pattern|
|Chicken Cross stitch Mum's prayer|
Drop us a comment, or connect with us in one of these ways. We love chatting with our readers!:
- Send us a voice message
- Kawartha Lakes Mums Facebook Page,
- @KawarthaMums Twitter,
- Kawartha Lakes Mums Youtube for Insider Secrets
- Kawartha Lakes Mums Pinterest
- Kawartha Lakes Mums G+
Any adfly links below will open with a word from a sponsor to help cover expenses. Click the "Skip Ad" Button when it appears in the top right corner to proceed to the webpage. Find out more at :http://adf.ly/?id=4009826 Want a direct link to your site? Leave a confidential comment and ask about a free link exchange or sponsoring a post.
- Looking to buy chickens? Try Poultry Swap Ontario Message Board http://adf.ly/4009826/poultry-swap-ontario
- BackYard Chickens 3 French Hens Discussion http://adf.ly/4009826/backyard-chickens-3-french-hens
- Wikipedia Image "Crevecoeur chicken" by Utilisateur:Blaise.desaintjouin - the French Wikipedia. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.5 via Wikimedia Commons.
- Wikipedia Image "La-fleche M SDA2013" by Eponimm - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons.
- Wikipedia Image "Cuckoo Marans" by seppingsR - Liz. Licensed under CC BY 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons.-