Kawartha Lakes Mums Readers - Curious About Yom Kippur?
Yom Kippur - Our Questions
|Tzom Kal! Oct 3-4 Yom Kippur Kawartha Lakes Shiksa Questions|
- When is Yom Kippur?
- How do we greet people on Yom Kippur?
- How did Yom Kippur begin?
- How do people observe Yom Kippur?
- Are there people in City of Kawartha Lakes observing Yom Kippur?
- What crafts, recipes, tips or activities are there, that might be helpful to people observing Yom Kippur or curious about Yom Kippur?
|Zazzle:Yom Kippur Blessings Card|
Yom Kippur Fast Facts
- Who? Yom Kippur is observed by Jews around the world, and over 100 people living in City of Kawartha Lakes.Yom Kippur is also observed by many Christians who are re-discovering their roots in Judaism. The congregation at Lindsay Ministry Outreach on William Street observes Yom Kippur, for example.The traditional greeting for Yom Kippur is G'mar Hatimah Tovah!
Yom Kippur Card: Gmar Chatimah Tovah - Zazzle [ad] Zazzle Gold Yom Kippur Card modified[Ad]
- What? Yom Kippur is the holiest of days in the Jewish calendar, Yom Kippur means Day of Atonement. It is a time for setting yourself right with G-d through repentance, prayer and fasting.
- When? Since days in the Jewish calendar run from Sunset to sunset, Yom Kippur fasting begins a half an hour before sunset on the beginning of Yom Kippur and girls and their mothers light candles 18 minutes before sunset. The fasting ends half an hour after sunset on Yom Kippur. In 2014, Yom Kippur begins October 3 and ends October 4th.
Yom Kippur Card: Sundown- Zazzle[ad]
- Where? It is extremely important for Jews to celebrate Yom Kippur at their nearest synagogue, because there are certain prayers that can only be said with ten men, and some prayers are deemed more powerful, with a quorum or more praying together. The closest chabbad is currently Durham chabbad in Whitby, Ontario. Everyone is welcome at Lindsay Ministry Outreach as well.
- Why? Yom Kippur has ancient roots going back to Moses discovering the people worshipping a golden calf upon his return with the ten commandments.
Zazzle Vintage Yom Kippur Card[ad]
- How? Jews prepare for Yom Kippur by first asking forgiveness of others in the ten days between Rosh ha' Shannah and Yom Kippur. These ten days include traditions such as giving extra charity, asking for and receiving honey cake, and blessing children. Jews also prepare their bodies for the Yom Kippur fast with a Meal of Cessation. On Yom Kippur, they repent and pray asking G-d to forgive them for sins against G-d, They also ask forgiveness for their fellow man, and question how they might have kept their fellow man from sin.
Yom Kippur :Gates of Repentance Poster - Zazzle [ad] Yom Kippur T-Shirt: Next Year in Jerusalem-Zazzle [ad]
Yom Kippur Food - Preparing Your Body for Fasting 5 Tips
|Yom Kippur Card- Wishing You an Easy Fast: Zazzle [ad]|
- Hydrate in advance. People can live for weeks without food, but water is essential. How do you properly hydrate in advance? Drinking the right liquids - caffeine causes your body to use more water, and can dehydrate you. Cut out salt. Salt causes your tissues to retain the water needed by your brain, and other vital organs. Eating the right foods - complex carbs like lentils help the body store water in a healthy way.
- Cut out caffeine. Besides dehydrating your body, during a fast, caffeine withdrawal symptoms can bring on headaches and nausea.
- Cut out sugars. sugar withdrawal, like caffeine withdrawal can bring unpleasant physical side affects.
- Eat frequent small meals ahead of time -nosh. this helps prepare the stomach and can help protect the thyroid.
- Have a Meal of Cessation or Seudat Mafseket prior to your fast.This unhurried low salt high in complex carb meal should be at least 1 hour before the Yom Kippur fast. Eat a moderate amount and drink lots of water. Leave time for drinking sweetened water after the meal, and brushing your teeth.
Yom Kippur Seudat Mefsekat Menu SuggestionsTraditional Pre-fast Yom Kippur meals might include Rice and potato kreplach served with challah. There is a debate whether kreplach is meat filled pasta and potato filled pasta should be called perogies. The meat kreplach has symbolic significance., in that the meat is covered and hidden from sight. Today, many Jewish families serve poultry or fish. One menu suggestion is chicken with rice and peas. To avoid dehydration, this meal uses only a conservative amount of salt and other spices.
|Yom Kippur Sticker:Happy Challah Days:Zazzle[ad]|
Follow Kawartha Lakes Mums's board Yom Kippur on Pinterest.
Yom Kippur Food Break Fast Meal Suggestions
|Yom Kippur Gift: Star of David Cheese Board- Zazzle [ad]|
- Whole wheat Bread- or bagels topped with spreads like egg or tuna salad or even jam
- An egg dish such as a soufflé
- A cheese dish - like a potato cheese bake.
- Noodle Kugel
- Almond Cookies - Mandelbrot
- Coffee Cake
- Fresh fruit
- Beverages-juice or coffee
Yom Kippur Kawartha Lakes Opportunities and Implications
If City of Kawartha Lakes wants to encourage tourism to the area, Yom Kippur is definitely not the best choice of dates to hold a one day event such as Farmfest. In the Jewish calendar, gearing up for Thanksgiving follows Yom Kippur, so Harvest themed festivals could hold more appeal following Yom Kippur.
Since it is essential for Jews to observe Yom Kippur at a synagogue, City of Kawartha Lakes will find their residents leaving to spend time in other communities. Was it always this way? No,for many years Pontypool was THE destination for Jewish tourists.
Yom Kippur, the holy day before the new Jewish Year begins, allows people to take time and seriously consider their lives and actions-getting rid of the past and starting fresh, A truly purposeful way to start a new year with a clean slate. Perhaps if more of us spent our day before New Year the same way, we would be much more successful, not being bogged down with past regrets and baggage.
- Send us a voice message
- Kawartha Lakes Mums Facebook Page,
- @KawarthaMums Twitter,
- Kawartha Lakes Mums Youtube for Insider Secrets
- Kawartha Lakes Mums Pinterest
- Kawartha Lakes Mums G+
The adfly links below will open with a word from a sponsor to help cover expenses. Click the "Skip Ad" Button when it appears in the top right corner to proceed to the webpage. Find out more at : http://adf.ly/?id=4009826 Want to avoid the ads? Leave a confidential comment to sponsor a post.